This week on Something Wonky, Travelling Tony’s life is a treat, finally we have a Cost Benefit Analysis for the not an NBN and Chris Pyne is still trying to ruin Higher Education.
Australia continues its fight against humanity, News Limited dominates Stop The Press and we have a surprising announcement for Man of the Year
THE FOCUS GROUP
Well what’s your plan to pay for Tony and Joe’s tax cuts for rich people?
- Finance minister Cormann finally notices that taxes are an alternative to spending cuts - but only as a threat. And only against ordinary Australians - he’s not proposing to undo the LNP’s tax cuts for the rich.
They’re not “gaffes” - they’re unintended revelations of the government MPs’ personal privilege and lack of understanding of the rest of us
The government has released a “Cost Benefit Analysis” of their NBN plans, done by a hand picked panel, and amazingly it supports them.
Speaking of people who can’t internet, George Brandis’s secret data retention discussion paper has been leaked
Christopher Pyne is facing resistance to his plans to ruin the Tertiary Education sector
- U Syd town hall meeting condemns fee deregulation proposals, despite the VC’s support.
- New Matilda’s take on the town hall meeting
- Pyne threatens research funding if he doesn’t get his way
- Coalition playing chicken with uni funding
- NSW police succeed in banning protest on grounds that it would bugger up Sydney traffic: then they bugger up Sydney traffic themselves making sure protesters don’t get near the place.
- Mockery for Jacqui Lambie and her strategist who declares that “any defence expert will tell you that… the Western world’s defence strategy is predicated on the fact that there’s a general level of threat from China”.
Things are looking rough for Dennis Napthine and the Liberal Party
- Napthine facing electoral wipeout
- Youth unemployment hosts 15 year high
- Who will the Liberals preselect for Baillieu’s old seat now he’s retiring? Old tory dinosaur John Elliott or the IPA’s John Roskam?
- Labor offering to start process to legalise medical marijuana if it wins in November
- Anti-piracy investigator calls for dedicated Australian court to prosecute web pirates
- Border youth mental health forum saved, for this year
AUSTRALIA VS HUMANITY
Morrison asked at inquiry why the time we’re holding asylum seekers in detention has increased threefold
“Why do you believe that stopping the boats and stopping the drownings can be achieved by detaining children in these ways,” Triggs asked. “Frankly Madam President, the results speak for themselves,” Morrison replied. Triggs appeared unsatisfied with the response. “How can you justify the indefinite detention of children in these conditions for more than a year when there is not evidence this is the policy that is stopping the boats?” she asked…
Morrison said he could not move them onshore as doing so would be fulfilling the promises made by people smugglers. “I understand they would like to come to the mainland and not be part of the offshore processing policy,” he said, but noted that “they paid people smugglers to get to Australia”
What toll are we imposing on the people who enforce our brutal anti-refugee policies?
Contractors reveal that Children In Detention have been Put In Wrist-Locks, Choke Holds by Serco including “graphic images of the event, which showed multiple guards surrounding individual children” and a video the HRC wasn’t shown.
To rub salt into the wounds, Tony’s wife Margie has been named patron of KidsXpress, an organisation that “aims to provide childhood trauma victims with ways to cope with their feelings and experiences”
STOP THE PRESS
Former News CEO Kim Williams spills the beans on his old comrades.
Man of the Year…. Allegedly
Kevin Andrews is the Natural Family Man of the Year according to some whack jobs.