This week on Something Wonky, the Focus Group travels to Arnham land for almost as long as Tony Abbott did and checks in on the Budget. Australia versus Humanity observes Cambodia from a distance. Stop The Press wonders what to watch when Lateline gets cancelled and we introduce our new segment Terror Australis.
The Focus Group
Kevin Andrews denies lying about NZ dole waiting period to justify Government’s planned unemployment benefit changes
Australia Vs Humanity
- News Ltd declare ‘Victory’ on boat arrivals’
- Scott Morrison says 12 asylum-seeker boats stopped under turnback policy
- Scott Morrison set to sign refugee resettlement deal with Cambodia on Friday
- Australia/Cambodia: Deal Puts Refugees at Risk - Human Rights Watch
- Gay asylum seekers on Manus Island write of fear of persecution in PNG
- PM - Complaint to OECD about G4S Manus Island management 23/09/2014
- Morrison looks set to get temporary protection visas for asylum seekers
- Hamid Kehazaei’s Death Proves Impossibility Of Proper Care Offshore, Warns Doctor | newmatilda.com
Stop The Press
ABC’s Q&A could be used as Islamic State propaganda : Liberal MP Craig Kelly
Australia’s biggest “Anti-terror” raid nets few arrests.
- Sydney dawn counter-terrorism raids: why now, and why so few answers?
- Terrorism raids: Isis ‘urging followers to behead Australians’, says PM
- We are the ones being terrorised, Muslims say
- Mechanic Ahmad Azaddin Rahmany arrested in terrorism raids free on good behaviour bond
- Counter-terrorism raids: five unanswered questions
Our Elected Representatives don’t help the situation.
- ‘Stupid and ignorant’: Cory Bernardi’s comments linking terrorism raids with a push to ban burqa slammed
- Jacqui Lambie says criticism over burqa post is a ‘gross overreaction’
- PM orders tighter security at Parliament House after interception of ‘chatter’ about potential threats
- MPs told to keep blinds closed at Parliament House office due to risk of sniper attack
- Queenslanders urged to comply with nervous police in wake of Endeavour Hills shooting
Proposed Terror Laws about to hand enormous power to security agencies with little oversight.
- New laws could give ASIO a warrant for the entire internet, jail journalists and whistleblowers
- Abbott’s ‘Anti-Terror’ Laws Are The Real Danger To Australia
- Tony Abbott warns balance between security and freedom may shift
- Anti-terrorism laws: Attorney-General George Brandis ‘confident’ Labor will support law changes
A young man is shot in suburban Melbourne after attacking Police officers, the nation loses its mind.
- Terror suspect’s friends shocked by death
- Fairfax apologises for using pic of wrong man for dead teen terror suspect on three front pages